Check out my post on the SOE forum

Updates about the SWG:ANH Community.

Check out my post on the SOE forum

Postby Vidi » May 3rd, 2013, 6:57 pm

http://forums.station.sony.com/soe/inde ... 500062022/

To Sony Online Entertainment and The Walt Disney Company (owner of the now defunct LucasArts) the developers of Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (SWG) (6/23/03-12/15/11):

The sometimes-contentious history of the game is well documented and no further comment is needed on that subject. Since the game officially came to an end more than a year ago and one of it's developing companies has been dismantled, it would generally be considered abandonware. That term only speaks to the idea that development and availability for it has ceased. It has nothing to do with any loss of copyright or intellectual property rights. You still retain those rights.

Recently, with the shuttering of LucasArts as an active developer of games, the source code for two games, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, have been released to the public by the developer of those games, Raven Software. Raven Software announced that they are sharing the source code as “a gift to the persistently loyal fanbase...for people to enjoy and play with.” Although fans of SWG have had mixed feelings toward the teams that developed the game, their loyalty to the game itself has never been in question.

The version of the game that we hold dear to our hearts is commonly known as Pre-Combat Upgrade or Pre-CU. That version of the game ceased to exist eight years ago this month. The final version of the game ended nearly a year and a half ago. Overall, the game was initially released nearly ten years ago, at about the same time as the above-mentioned games were released from Raven Software. In the fast paced world of video game tech, this is an eternity. Games released now are so far advanced from these games that the older games have virtually nothing in common with them. In five to ten more years, games that are new now will seem just as archaic as ten year old games do to us now.

Would releasing the source code for SWG degrade your internal security? Would it give away any relevant trade secrets? Would it do any harm whatsoever to any project, current, future or even past for you? If the answer to these questions is no then maybe there is a benefit to releasing such information.

Would it show goodwill toward the community that is trying desperately to emulate this very popular game that you created? Would it be a beginning for mending fences between you and a community that wants to be on your side, but has gotten caught up in being bitter for so long that they don’t remember any other way? A community who is waiting for an olive branch to be extended so everyone on all sides can be friends again? Would that be worth giving out that information that is now more than eight years old from a game that has hyperspaced off into the twin-suns set?

If those benefits would be worth it to you then I implore you to release that information to the public and begin to reap those benefits. Your technology was cutting edge in it's day but it's time has passed. Now, you can pass that technology on to a group of people who would find so much enjoyment from its release to the public. Let the fans of your best game ever re-live the fun times they had on your servers. Let them speak of SOE with high praise and appreciation once again. Let us both build a bridge and be friends again like in old times.

To paraphrase Princess Leia, “Help us SOE, you’re our only hope.” Thank you for your time. Happy Star Wars Day!

Vidi
Researcher, A New Hope emulation team
Vidi
Researcher
StarWars Galaxies: A new hope
there is another...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 1380946570
Vidi
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Sunrunner

Re: Check out my post on the SOE forum

Postby Sostrata » May 4th, 2013, 3:15 pm

A most excellent post! I hope with all my heart that it will have the desired effect! Thank you, Vidi! Would you like us to concur on the SOE forums?
STAFF - Coming out of retirement :)
Sostrata

SWG Official Server: Intrepid

Postby Vidi » May 5th, 2013, 8:30 am

Thank you Sostrata. If you still have access to those forums, you can comment or "like" or whatever you want over there. The more the merrier! I hope all is well.
Vidi
Researcher
there is another...

Vidi

Postby Vidi » May 11th, 2013, 7:24 am

One week later, people are starting to notice this. It took until last night to reach 149 views. Now, this morning, it is at 287. I'm surprised they haven't deleted it so I guess that is a good thing. View it, like it, share it, reply to it. Let them know how you feel.
Vidi
Researcher
there is another...

Vidi

Postby Tomcat » May 14th, 2013, 9:09 am

great post fella, i hope someone at soe listens, especially now the old republic is failing. and bloody hell sos how the hell are you . hope all is well. ;)
Tomcat

Return to Community Comlink