SWG dies.

A forum for Star Wars Galaxies and Pre-CU, share your knowledge and experiences here.

SWG dies.

Postby SWGFarsun » June 24th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,
We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.
We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we've received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.
In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.
Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.
Sincerely,
Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts
The Fine Details:
Discontinuation of Services:
As of September 15, 2011, the SWG MMO and Trading Card Game will no longer be available for sale or subscription at both retail and all online digital retailers. All billing for active subscribers with accounts in good standing, except for Station Access subscribers, will end on October 15, 2011.
If you are an active subscriber in good standing as of September 15, 2011, then you can play for free for the final months. Players wishing to play through the end of the game and participate in the galaxy-ending event planned for the last week of live service in December will need to re-activate or join the game on or before September 15th. No new or reactivated accounts will be accepted after September 15, 2011.
As of today, June 24, 2011, we are discontinuing the 12, 6, and 3-month subscription plans, meaning these subscription options will no longer be offered for newly created SWG accounts. SWG subscribers who have prepaid six (6) or twelve (12)-month game time plans that extend their subscription period past October 15, 2011 will receive a pro-rated refund for any such pre-paid excess subscription payments*. Such refunds are expected to be issued within 90-days after the game ends.
In addition, we will be discontinuing the sale of all Star Wars Galaxies™ Trading Card Game (TCG) digital card packs as of today, June 24, 2011. Loot cards will not be redeemable in the SWG MMO after September 15, 2011. The TCG will continue to operate until the final service closure on December 15, 2011.
Galaxy-Ending Event – Be Part of this Historic Event
During the last week that SWG is available, we're inviting the community to participate in a galaxy-ending event. We're going to end with a bang and we want the final chapter of the galaxy to be written in part by the dedicated and passionate SWG community. Details will be announced at a later date.
Fan Appreciation Offers
We welcome those active SWG subscribers in good standing to play one or all of the below SOE massively-multiplayer online PC games at a fully-paid subscriber status (or “membership” status where relevant) at no cost between October 15, 2011 and December 31, 2011 (subject to the terms and conditions described below). To activate these special offers, use the same Station Account you use now to subscribe to SWG** and simply click on the game you would like to try to download the game software. We are offering the following SOE games: Free Realms®, Star Wars®: Clone Wars Adventures™, EverQuest®, EverQuest® II and DC Universe™ Online. The game software will all be made available for download on a link accessible from the StarWarsGalaxies.com web site beginning on October 15, 2011.

I just got the e-mail from SOE.
SWGFarsun
Former Community Senator

SWG Official Server: Valcyn

Re: SWG dies.

Postby Obi-Two » June 25th, 2011, 4:33 am

it is in deed a sad day.

let hope we have something zone-able by the end of the year and let the community keep rocking
Obi-Two

Forum Administrator
Star Wars Galaxies::A new hope
there is another...

SWH::ANH Projects :: SWGANHServices
Discord Server :: Discord/SWGANH
Obi-Two
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Ahazi

Postby dataless » July 2nd, 2011, 1:08 pm

It's about time.

They should have closed it down years ago, instead of screwing it up more and more every month.

The only sad part is Smedly never lost his job over what he did to the game.
dataless

SWG Official Server: Scylla

Postby kinshi » July 2nd, 2011, 5:37 pm

dataless wrote:It's about time.

They should have closed it down years ago, instead of screwing it up more and more every month.

I don't know that Smedley could have done anything to stop it....not without getting the Star Wars IP license yanked anyway. The more I have learned about the hassle that game designers have with the holders of popular IP, the more I have learned how easy it can be to wind up watching a train wreck and not being able to do a thing about it.

Case in point...FASA, the makers of the ever-popular Battletech table tops games were also makers of the most excellent Star Trek-based RPG to have walked the Earth. For years, FASA Trek material was considered 'canon', but they ran afoul of Gene Rodenberry who did not like that FASA was pushing more towards war gaming, than the 'peace and love' model the Roddenberry preferred. The end results was FASA losing a battle of wills, and Paramount yanked their IP license, and thus the FASA-Trek universe died.

DESPITE the fact of how damn good that material actually was, and Paramount was an ass about it too, giving instructions to their screenwriters to ignore all FASA materials (not to mention all the Pocket Books novels as well). They killed a damn fine game over quibbling about 'vision'.

Lucas is about lightsabers and pew-pew, and yea he has NEVER made Uncle Owen and moisture farming a central theme in the Star Wars they published. A HUGE mistake got made, and made by Raph Koster in making a really good MMORPG first, and assigning a lower priority to making SWG a good 'Star Wars' game.

Yes, Lucas was right to complain that SWG was not 'Star Warsy' enough, not when it wound up being Ultima Online 3D with a Star Wars skin, and then Lucas themselves proceeded to make a canonical MESS of SWG by ramrodding all this prequel-Clone Wars stuff into the game.

Publishers ALWAYS LOSE when it comes to fights with property owners about how to implement IP.

The CU was SOEs last chance to get it right on their own, and I always got the impression that LucasArts was the one directly behind all the special focus groups, and the ones who ramrodded the notion of turning SWG into a massive version of Battlefront (that SWG perhaps was intended to become BattleFront III) thus why it got all FPS-like for a while, and why the professions got so drastically condensed.

It might have worked had the NGE not been such a buggy, incomplete mess, that took away so mucvh w/o ANY compensation at all (like free game time, etc) that was forced on us in a bait and switch right after we all paid for the TOOW expansion. Given that TOOW was developed with the CU in mind, it was clear the NGE came out of the blue, and got forced down SOEs' throats as well. Otherwise, why was the expansion developed with CU mechanics in mind and not NGE? And why were profession revamps still being rolled out right up to the end?

anyway..Lucas and SOE raped us players not because of the NGE but because of they way they handled it. It was callous, uncaring, and damn near criminal (thus why SOE had to issue refunds for TOOW, talk about unheard of).

The saving grace now is that the game is no longer in any of their hands..its in OUR hands now. All I can say now to the lack of SOE, Lucas, and even Koster's influence now is good riddance. They had their chance and their combined efforts made the game FUBAR. They only listened to themselves and not the people actually playing.

How else would we wind up with content bases on the Holiday Special? I mean DAMN...to base so much of SWG off the single WORST piece of Star Wars material to ever exist?..and then expand on it? ..Ewok Festival of Love??... /barf actually flying ewoks with hearts on their chests and they looked EXACTLY like Care Bears!!! That killed it for me right there..I could not log in any more after seeing those. It was proof that the peolpe in charge simply had NO CLUE..

like who in the hell was asking for Meatlump Themepark? In all the threads over the years I cannot see where ANYONE was saying..ohhh I want Meatlumps..Hoth can wait!..sigh...
kinshi
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Postby Rexz » July 5th, 2011, 11:15 am

Nice post Kinshi!
Rexz

SWG Official Server: Valcyn

Postby Sarlron » July 6th, 2011, 6:13 am

Wow, looks like a lots happened lately. Sad to see it all go, would like to rail about the end of NGE but don't see the point.

I agree totally Kinshi. I've been in production meetings where my input was supposedly "important" just to have someone higher up have their one vote count for more than the rest of the group combined. Can't help but snicker when the product fails, but it still hurts the company as a whole. So I can see what most likely happened with Smedley, I've been the face in front of the customer for a failed product that I had no say in developing.

Still looking forward to what you all are doing. :)
Sarlron

SWG Official Server: Eclipse

Postby dataless » July 9th, 2011, 9:03 pm

kinshi wrote:
dataless wrote:It's about time.

I don't know that Smedley could have done anything to stop it....not without getting the Star Wars IP license yanked anyway. The more I have learned about the hassle that game designers have with the holders of popular IP, the more I have learned how easy it can be to wind up watching a train wreck and not being able to do a thing about it.

Case in point...FASA, the makers of the ever-popular Battletech table tops games were also makers of the most excellent Star Trek-based RPG to have walked the Earth. For years, FASA Trek material was considered 'canon', but they ran afoul of Gene Rodenberry who did not like that FASA was pushing more towards war gaming, than the 'peace and love' model the Roddenberry preferred. The end results was FASA losing a battle of wills, and Paramount yanked their IP license, and thus the FASA-Trek universe died.

DESPITE the fact of how damn good that material actually was, and Paramount was an ass about it too, giving instructions to their screenwriters to ignore all FASA materials (not to mention all the Pocket Books novels as well). They killed a damn fine game over quibbling about 'vision'.

Lucas is about lightsabers and pew-pew, and yea he has NEVER made Uncle Owen and moisture farming a central theme in the Star Wars they published. A HUGE mistake got made, and made by Raph Koster in making a really good MMORPG first, and assigning a lower priority to making SWG a good 'Star Wars' game.

Yes, Lucas was right to complain that SWG was not 'Star Warsy' enough, not when it wound up being Ultima Online 3D with a Star Wars skin, and then Lucas themselves proceeded to make a canonical MESS of SWG by ramrodding all this prequel-Clone Wars stuff into the game.

Publishers ALWAYS LOSE when it comes to fights with property owners about how to implement IP.

The CU was SOEs last chance to get it right on their own, and I always got the impression that LucasArts was the one directly behind all the special focus groups, and the ones who ramrodded the notion of turning SWG into a massive version of Battlefront (that SWG perhaps was intended to become BattleFront III) thus why it got all FPS-like for a while, and why the professions got so drastically condensed.

It might have worked had the NGE not been such a buggy, incomplete mess, that took away so mucvh w/o ANY compensation at all (like free game time, etc) that was forced on us in a bait and switch right after we all paid for the TOOW expansion. Given that TOOW was developed with the CU in mind, it was clear the NGE came out of the blue, and got forced down SOEs' throats as well. Otherwise, why was the expansion developed with CU mechanics in mind and not NGE? And why were profession revamps still being rolled out right up to the end?

anyway..Lucas and SOE raped us players not because of the NGE but because of they way they handled it. It was callous, uncaring, and damn near criminal (thus why SOE had to issue refunds for TOOW, talk about unheard of).

The saving grace now is that the game is no longer in any of their hands..its in OUR hands now. All I can say now to the lack of SOE, Lucas, and even Koster's influence now is good riddance. They had their chance and their combined efforts made the game FUBAR. They only listened to themselves and not the people actually playing.

How else would we wind up with content bases on the Holiday Special? I mean DAMN...to base so much of SWG off the single WORST piece of Star Wars material to ever exist?..and then expand on it? ..Ewok Festival of Love??... /barf actually flying ewoks with hearts on their chests and they looked EXACTLY like Care Bears!!! That killed it for me right there..I could not log in any more after seeing those. It was proof that the peolpe in charge simply had NO CLUE..

like who in the hell was asking for Meatlump Themepark? In all the threads over the years I cannot see where ANYONE was saying..ohhh I want Meatlumps..Hoth can wait!..sigh...

Lucas Arts talks profits. It was SOE's job to guide them in the correct direction and make the game a success. After all LA hired SOE to run the game because SOE had experience doing so.

SOE dropped the ball, LA attempted to pick it up but they failed even worse than SOE did. Sony should have let them yank the IP rights, at least then I might have some respect for them.

If SOE doesn't have the guts to stand up to Lucas Arts and tell them "This won't work, you'll tank the project" then they deserve the bad rep.

I've walked away from more than one project because the client was determined to screw it up, Sony should do the same. Instead they showed the gaming community that they cannot be trusted. I know I'll never buy another Sony product again. From the day my friends started trying to talk me into running SWG I just knew it would be screwed up by Lucas Arts. I should haven't followed my instincts.
dataless

SWG Official Server: Scylla

Postby Akkim » July 9th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Take a few steps back on the "IP Owner" thoughts. No matter how you slice it, MMORPG development at that time was a $50-60M investment on producing a game with a 24-36 month production window where the normal projects were SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive and had windows half as long.

In fact, that's still a challenge that plagues the MMO industry to this day.

SOE couldn't really just abandon all hope - and LA couldn't just pull it and find another company to drop the cash in another attempted product. They're in bed together for better or worse.

I'm not excusing either side for the failure(s) that came from SWG.. but I do understand that it's not just so easy to bed-hop :)

--Micah
Akkim

SWG Official Server: Lowca

Postby exit151 » July 10th, 2011, 2:38 pm

I know many of you are going to want to give me flak on this, but I've got a different view point.. Please don't flame, just read it and accept it.

Most of you come from the viewpoint that swg started suckin' the day CU came out, and maybe you think it was worse even more after NGE, maybe not. Point is, to most of you, you stopped enjoying and started disliking it way back then.

I have played it since launch. I have never stopped my monthly payment on two accounts in all that time - Though I did admittedly take a month off when CU hit. I had a wicked cool (heh, love that wordage) bounty hunter who could solo just about anything and was truly a force to be reckoned with. I lost that and was reduced quite literally to a completely useless bounty hunter who struggled to kill womp rats. After my month off to vent, I came back on another server, and did not even TOUCH the main BH char for about a year, short of loggin in to make sure things were paid, etc.. On the alt server, I decided to help a buddy who could never find an entertainer for buffs.. I did ent/id there and actually got to know a great group of players that way, enough so that they inspired me to give my BH a chance again, at which time I took up the crafting profession, which - I completely fell in love with and was the big reason I play the game to this date. Point is, I adapted and overcame CU/NGE and I honestly love every aspect of it. Yes, I miss the initial customization - The amount of detail that REALLY gave it a true RPG feel, and I wish they would have kept that, at least to some form. And yes, there are far too few games that ID allow you that much tweaking/customization. But, as with just about every other MMO out there - They made the decision to 'be like the rest' and offer x amount of "classes".

So what is gonna fire you up about this, it's common knowledge after all.. Well...

I really and truly believe that some day we are going to find out what the swg forums are full of, that someone in LA, be it George himself or a team of directors, that THEY pulled the plug. Not because of NGE, or CU. But over the competition. Themselves.

Many players like me, I'm sure planned on gettin a Bioware SWTOR account when it came out. We'd play it's linear experience, while still having our SWG account, and when the linear experience ended, so did our account payment. Till the next big patch/update/reason to play. Meanwhile, our journey on the open-ended SWG would continue. Yes, TOR is going to be sexy sweet graphically I'm sure - An overhaul that I wished SWG had received. But it won't ever have the depth of content, "stuff to do", etc that will keep monthy subscribers hooked. Unless they go back on their word about their scope of the systems after the outfall from the swg community, which I don't expect to happen.

Lucas isn't greedy - He/they are smart. With only one option out there, you KNOW where the numbers are going to go. People are going to play it, and keep it, cuz if they like the SWG genre/scene, it is the ONLY choice. This will give TOR a higher chance of bragging about a large playerbase etc., and ultimately a higher chance of success.

Now that said, I won't argue that the CU/NGE was a factor in the downturn of events, but I have strong doubts that it had any large portion to do with swg closing. Just my $.02 from a current day swg fan who experienced both pre and post.
:arrow:...don't take me personally - I might over-explain or draw out simple tasks, but that's not a reflection on you - It's done so ideally anyone could read my post and know exactly what to do - Well, as long as what I wrote is correct :)
exit151

SWG Official Server: Bria

Postby sam » July 24th, 2011, 2:35 pm

It is a little sad hearing this. I'm still to this day obsessed about this game. However I know of people long gone that thought it was dead at the launch of the CU. For me NGE :( . All good things come to an end. I've always said I'd rather have played just one more year of Precu even if that meant it would be canceled after that.

Here's a quote:
"The best art imitates life in a compelling way. If it imitates a dream, it must be a dream of life. Otherwise, there is no place we can connect. Our plugs don't fit."
sam

SWG Official Server: Bloodfin

Next

Return to SWG Discussion