SOE to make new Star Wars MMO - no really!

A forum for Star Wars Galaxies and Pre-CU, share your knowledge and experiences here.

SOE to make new Star Wars MMO - no really!

Postby kinshi » June 1st, 2010, 1:25 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/soe-r ... e-wars-mmo

In defiance of all that is right and good, Lucas has given the Star Wars IP to SOE again to torture and maim, this time in the form of Free Realms in a Clone Wars skin.

Ever wonder where SOE was trying to go with the NGE..well they finally got there in the form of Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures. Turning Star Wars into a total Fisher-Price/Kiddie/Happy-Meal selling/rack up those RMT dollars franchise.

So anyone ready to work on Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Emu? lol (since that game is sure to have a CU/NGE given who is making it).

Anyway, just surprised that Lucas is tossing this big a bone to the likes of SOE again.
kinshi
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Re: SOE to make new Star Wars MMO - no really!

Postby snow » June 1st, 2010, 3:09 pm

I'm really convinced that it's actually LA behind the NGE and all the crap SWG has endured, rather then SOE, but it is most likely the collaboration of both of those groups that produced the SWG that it is today...

But at least with this they're finally admitting the target audience, quite a difference from what they did with the NGE...

--s
snow

SWG Official Server: Kauri

Postby kinshi » June 1st, 2010, 4:53 pm

True, LA with its clone-mania and marketing madness had to have had a negative effect on SWG. hehe I met Julio Torres(sp?) when I attended the NGE dog and pony show called the "SWG Community Summit" was held in Seattle, and I got the distinct whiff of marketing sleaze coming off him.

Also the fact the event was handled like a staged press-conference and not a real panel discussion added to the 'we are getting this rammed down our throats' feeling. Most of the event was just listening to them present PowerPoint slides of features they still have not implemented, and people had to queue up in line to ask the panel a question at the tail end, and we were only given 2 minutes each.

They also had visible security in the room..perhaps for good reason..the mood of the crowd was less than good. One fella was carted out of the room by security (but that was because he kept asking the panel if they would enlarge the breasts on female Twi'lek models.)

It was good to go to that 'summit' because it put a human face on the impact the NGE had on the players. This was NOT a crowd of kiddies, but a gathering of paying adults who had their leisure time seriously jerked around and who were NOT playing SWG because it was easy-mode. They played because of its depth and people were genuinely angry.

It was like frequenting a restaurant for years only to have the menu and decor change w/o warning and the management say that they don't want our kind coming here anymore. WTF? That's how you reward customer loyalty?

No shock SOE is full steam into making kiddie games..they don't have discussions like these and SOE/LA can monkey around with the game to their heart's content w/o any real opposition.
kinshi

Postby Vanzant » June 1st, 2010, 5:05 pm

Well yeah they are making it for kiddies, plus kiddies don't complain like us(most of us) adults do! ;)

Easier crowd to satisfy.
Never mastered politician, was only 4 boxes short of Master BE, mastered everything else....some more than once. Finished the game with a Master TK/Master Armorsmith(Ayliar) and a Jedi Guardian named Vanzant. Bring back Pre-CU!!!!
Vanzant

SWG Official Server: Valcyn

Postby Schmunzel » June 2nd, 2010, 10:03 am

I hate them soooooooooo much
SWG:ANH Resident Wookiee :evil:
Schmunzel

Postby BlackSky » June 2nd, 2010, 11:46 pm

Kinishi - interesting write up on that event. Seems given the games and movies progression over the years there have been forces at work to steadily drive this franchise into a Disneyland kiddie fest. I really think they are forgetting a large part of their fan base by dumbing down both movies and games. Personally I would like to see something for both sides.
BlackSky

SWG Official Server: Ahazi

Postby alex1tmac » June 3rd, 2010, 12:46 am

Disturbing news, this is. A large part of me want's this MMO to fail miserably, the MMO genre is crowded enough as is. Don't get me wrong, it's great to get the newer generations into Star Wars but I'd rather see a new Republic Commando than this. Anything but this.
alex1tmac

Postby kinshi » June 3rd, 2010, 2:56 pm

The weird thing about MMOs these days, the newest breeds of them anyway, is that they are basing their financials on NOT retaining subscribers. With RMT becoming standard practice in many new games as a big piece of the F2P model, the goal is not to cater to veterans but to sell as many 'shinies' as fast as they can, and crank out new shinies.

Content? lol...not in the traditional sense..take Free Realms for instance..its more like an online carnival than anything..no focus, just run around online, ooh and ahh at the shinies and give the carnies all your money.

hehe I think Smed is channeling P.T. Barnum sometimes.

Its all marketing driven, making MMO financials resemble that of TV and movies, that is the marketdroids only look at the mass market, selling to as many people in one shot as possible. In the case of SOE, they are aiming at a easier to sell to group, teens and pre-teens who will complain a LOT less and will almost never call customer service.

SOEs has been leading the way in trying to get the most money from customers while providing the least amount of service..as far as MMOs go they perfected the science of extracting blood from turnips..I mean they still make money off SWG despite making a massive mess of it, and somehow still managed to woo Lucas into letting them touch their IP again. Though I suspect this may have a LOT to do with the recent management departures at Lucas Arts. A lot of their upper management moved on along with their CEO, so any grudges and hangups that might have existed in dealing with SOE may have left with them.
kinshi

Postby Xlicer » June 15th, 2010, 4:15 am

I am scared... Really, really scared. :o This new "game" is pretty much the manifestation of all my thoughts and fears of the NGE'ified SWG. *Vomits rainbows*

Anyways, SOE's priorities are seriously messed up. They put short-term profit in quantity over long-term satisfaction and entertainment in quality. If they were logically thinking, I'd think they would value the loyalty of their own player base, in turn for a better over-all MMO, therefore increasing profits much better in the long run rather than just forcing dollars out of their customers' throats.

I do agree with Kinshi. They must have perfected the art of extracting blood from turnips. Rocks, even. Mostly due to greed, if you ask me. I'm sure they just seek more and more quick cash, these days. Like a number of corporations like Sony. It doesn't even have to necessarily apply with games, if you think about it.

Oh well. Just sharing my 2 cents. ;)
Xlicer

SWG Official Server: Farstar

Return to SWG Discussion