August Development Objectives

Development, Research, and Testing Updates.

Re: August Development Objectives

Postby Obi-Two » October 17th, 2015, 3:10 am

lei2 wrote:How did you do that before? I never thought of any other method than using a terminal : ) But good to hear its running now. Is it a 64bit system?

Oh I was just using make then copying the folder across (school boy error) no wonder teh configs couldn't be accessed or seen :)
And yes it is a 64bit box :)

lei2 wrote:RPI indeed might work since on linux things are quite portable, but it would just be some fancy, not a real project goal. And it would be just one or two Zones ...

yeah would be a gimic, but one pie per Zone might have been ok :P

lei2 wrote:Its a hell of a polling machine, designed for a dedicated high end server farm that serves high session numbers. Nice concept but only for this special szenario. For common all day use - all servers on one box, some ten sessions - it bummers.

I don't know if your have looked at or seen the other project we had going, I think the stucture was being ported to this project, I believe the intention was to make that one more cross plat form but don't qote me on that :) https://github.com/anhstudios/swganh sadly this won't build or work you have if you want to check it out this commit builds (I never got it working on linux though but I have poor linux skills :) https://github.com/anhstudios/swganh/tree/1296e44f7c1fa8c68fe3ff5a2b5b41e5efcb4213
I often wondered if thgis project was salvagable, swop out the python scriping for something a little more suitable like angle or lua?

This code does need a major over hall, and the few deps we need the easier it is to build in my humble opinion so I'm all for that :D
I think making this more linux friendly is a good direction more so if it will run an a mis to low end box, as lets face it who can afford to rent a highend windows box for an emu comunity :D

But anyway I'm getting ahead of myself, your doing an amazing job my friend, if there is anything I can do to help you out, I'm more than happy to do what I can, I'm a copy and paste black belt master :D

Many thanks Obi
Obi-Two

Quality Assurance
Star Wars Galaxies:A new hope
there is another...

Server by : Hostwind
Project : SWGANHServices/SWGANHJava
Obi-Two
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Ahazi

Postby lei2 » October 22nd, 2015, 5:40 pm

Obi-Two wrote:And yes it is a 64bit box :)

Im using a 32bit ubuntu with 2G mem, 64bit would help nothing here.

I have looked at the other ones. Studios is c++11 and even if with some patience one might manage to get it compiled, you wont really want to work with that code then. And the mmoserver trunk ... it suffers same issues and its even more boosted. They might give examples how to deal with some things later.

Obi-Two wrote:I think making this more linux friendly is a good direction more so if it will run an a mis to low end box, as lets face it who can afford to rent a highend windows box for an emu comunity :D

Yes, and not only one. As it is maybe a helium cooled core for the mysql server ... thats the concept issue. For linux friendlyness servers need to fork and run as demon process without a user interface. They should be able terminate gracefully on signal. A maintenance thread would not be bad either. Nohup or screen is just a way to work around is this is not there, and the last but one thing you want from an mmo server is to poll the input channel for a user hitting a key. Just to name a few points.

My overhaul is making progress. Meanwhile ping, login, chat and connections are a bit more under control and all data acquisition has been rewritten to simple sync sql. Currently I work on connection to act like it was originally meant. This because the net setup for chat had been tweaked in a way that it bypassed everything in the system. Really strange thing.

Obi-Two wrote:But anyway I'm getting ahead of myself, your doing an amazing job my friend, if there is anything I can do to help you out, I'm more than happy to do what I can, I'm a copy and paste black belt master :D

No merits until something is on the table my old grandma used to say : ) Not much that can be done atm, I'll keep you updated.
lei2

SWG Official Server: Farstar

Postby Obi-Two » October 23rd, 2015, 10:54 am

You're doing a fantastic job, I can hardly wait to get this off the ground again :D

Again anything I can do, just let me know,

If you're interested I'd really like you to be on my team, (once I have a team) I believe in this project and I have a warm feeling we can really push this out there :D
Obi
Obi-Two

Quality Assurance
Star Wars Galaxies:A new hope
there is another...

Server by : Hostwind
Project : SWGANHServices/SWGANHJava
Obi-Two

SWG Official Server: Ahazi

Previous

Return to Developer's Datapad