why no updates for months?

General development discussion forum

why no updates for months?

Postby syvart » April 19th, 2012, 3:12 am

I look on the website every few days and under the milestone tab it just says coming soon. It has said that for months.

Is the project dead or is there just nothing new for the last 6 months?
syvart

SWG Official Server: Eclipse

Re: why no updates for months?

Postby Obi-Two » April 19th, 2012, 4:18 am

Firstly the Project is far from dead,

however development is taking longer than expected version 0.4 of the core is out now and things are moving forward I assure you.

there are a few helpful links for following the project in this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1288

as for the mile stones page I will poke some people and see whats going on with it

Obi
Obi-Two

Forum Administrator
Star Wars Galaxies::A new hope
there is another...

SWH::ANH Projects :: SWGANHServices
Discord Server :: Discord/SWGANH
Obi-Two
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Ahazi

Postby kinshi » April 30th, 2012, 9:44 pm

There have been a number of public announcement in easy to find places, such as;

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1288

If one subscribes to the RSS feeds for the github repository, they will get updated the second anything new gets added, and if one uses the github page they can track darn near all aspects of the project (actually one can even track the project real-time.

Then of course there is our Facebook group, announced here;

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1293

These forums do not get much use now as we are on the verge of making these forums go away in favor of a new Wordpress-based forum, just waiting on implementation of a new theme for the re-worked site

There of course will be announcements prior to that happening.
kinshi

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Postby exit151 » May 3rd, 2012, 1:21 am

kinshi wrote:These forums do not get much use now as we are on the verge of making these forums go away in favor of a new Wordpress-based forum, just waiting on implementation of a new theme for the re-worked site

There of course will be announcements prior to that happening.

I'm going to chime in on this..

I strongly urge/request/recommend that you do NOT take this action. If you want to completely kill off the project, do it, because removing the forum/community aspect will do just that.

The biggest problem I see here is just like what the other poster stated. We come here often, we look around, but short of the here and there "hey how can I get this working" or similar, there isn't much activity posted on here by official members.

There was the post about 0.4.0 (which as an aside - I'm really irked about the vc++11 ONLY, no vc++10, the standard mainstream product used, why not support both?) which did shed some light on what's coming down the pike.. I'll give ya that. That said, there's been a big push on the facebook. To me, this seems cumbersome. I get that any 'publicity' is good news, I'm guessing that those 'other guys' have a fb page and ya'll feel the need to match. Rest assured. Google is your friend, and active, monitored forums are your bread. These forums are where questions and answers and all that need, and should be.

I appreciate every member of the dev/support team to the full extent, and I know and understand that just like all of us, they do this when they can, in their free time. There are a lot of us out there who are looking to get something up and going to get our lost swg fix. Keeping what I just said in mind, we're all hoping to see some real, and quick progress as soon as you can deliver it :) Again, please do not even consider removal of these forums, I strongly believe it to be the lifeblood of the project.
:arrow:...don't take me personally - I might over-explain or draw out simple tasks, but that's not a reflection on you - It's done so ideally anyone could read my post and know exactly what to do - Well, as long as what I wrote is correct :)
exit151

SWG Official Server: Bria

Postby apathy » May 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

I strongly urge/request/recommend that you do NOT take this action. If you want to completely kill off the project, do it, because removing the forum/community aspect will do just that.

Please re-read what was written, we aren't removing the forum. We have a new site on the wings with a new board that makes it easier for us to integrate discussion into our announcements while also being able to feature those announcements more prominently on the front page.

which as an aside - I'm really irked about the vc++11 ONLY, no vc++10, the standard mainstream product used, why not support both?

VC++10 does not support the modern C++11 features that this project makes use of. One of the primary focuses of the development team is to explore modern programming practices which have a basis in the new C++11 standard. (Note that C++11 is the new official ISO standard for C++ and VC++11 is a compiler that implements most of this new standard).

Regarding the rest of your comments we do appreciate the feedback but there does appear to be a big divide between the assumptions you're making and the reality. Facebook for example, there is usually a daily post in the way of some interesting/funny star wars related image or news and every few days a quick blurb about something that's being worked on that was overheard in IRC chat. It is also maintained by a non-programmer so no development time is being lost to it.

Again, we aren't getting rid of the forums just moving to a new platform that allows us options more in line with what we are wanting. With it we're carrying over all the users and content so nothing is being lost.
~ May the Source be with you ~
apathy
Retired SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Naritus

Postby kinshi » May 23rd, 2012, 5:18 pm

I think some clarification of how these old forums and how the new WordPress forums are intended interact, and what their roles are to be may be in order.
kinshi

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Postby apathy » May 26th, 2012, 1:00 am

To clarify, the entire existing site is being archived as is (including the forums which will be in view only mode). The new forums will operate just the same as this, everyone's logins will carry over.

The reason for archiving vs importing the content on this forum is that the majority of the content here involves the old server and its development, which doesn't have much bearing on the new code and its operations. That's not to say that there isn't still some useful information here, which is why it will still be made available. Also, for anyone who might have forum pages bookmarked all of the links will remain valid (that goes for links across the whole current site).
~ May the Source be with you ~
apathy
Retired SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Naritus

Postby syvart » December 24th, 2012, 1:00 am

As this discussion took place in May 2012 I thought I would ask if the new forum is getting close to release. Is the milestone going to be updated it still says coming soon. if this is not a feature you are going to use why not just remove it from the site?

I hope you don't see this as any disrespect I know you guys work very hard and I am thankful for what you do. I just thought I would ask since 7 months has past since the discussion. If the new stuff is in place already and I missed it can you provide a link please.
syvart

SWG Official Server: Eclipse

Postby Xiox » March 8th, 2013, 11:38 am

I know how frustrating it is to keep both aspects of the team working together like a well oiled machine AND keeping up with your actual lives can be, it really does suck. I do agree with what was said before about keeping up publicity, it does give the project some legitimacy and it helps to get the 'philosophy' of what this team is working on out there. Vidi does work hard on keeping the public up to date and entertained but of course he has his own life to deal with too, like us all.

I personally have a bit of free time on my hands at the moment that I could definitely lend Vidi a hand keeping the face of ANH vibrant and lively while you guys are crammed into your little closets crunching away the good stuff ;) If you guys are up for that, let me know.
Xiox

SWG Official Server: Kauri

Postby Stin » March 11th, 2013, 10:19 am

WOW! Took about 2 months to get a reply.
Might be time to give up on this one.
Stin

Next

Return to General Discussion