Graphics Update

A place to discuss and present upcoming features for the SWG:ANH Server

Graphics Update

Postby Royalkin » December 10th, 2011, 4:15 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Royalkin on December 14th, 2017, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Royalkin

SWG Official Server: Bria

Re: Graphics Update

Postby SWGFarsun » January 12th, 2012, 12:55 am

I know there was a program which uncapped the FPS of the going around, that could be distributed with the client as a graphical update option.
SWGFarsun
Former Community Senator

SWG Official Server: Valcyn

Postby Kronos » January 21st, 2012, 3:56 pm

yes the client could be tweaked here and there, really the best option would be to re-create the client and make a new (state-of-the-art) engine that can handle all of the new features we're used to. Unfortunately just doing this will not make the graphics better, all of the models and textures would still have to be updated, which is a TON of work and to be honest unless we have a bunch of AAA artists just sitting around wanting to volunteer their time, it's not really likely.

I think it might be worth looking into creating a new client after the game is finished, but for now I think we'll just stick to what we have.
Kronos
Retired SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Wanderhome

Postby kinshi » January 21st, 2012, 10:09 pm

Check out the work at http://ModTheGalaxy.com

There are a cpl efforts underway there to create new high-res textures for the game, you can see some examples there, and there have been advancements in importing 3d meshes into SWG which open the door for attempting to use models with higher polygon counts, or simply different models all together.
kinshi
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Postby Royalkin » January 23rd, 2012, 11:57 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Royalkin on December 14th, 2017, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Royalkin

SWG Official Server: Bria

Postby Xiox » March 8th, 2013, 11:23 am

This thread's old but, to be effective.. I wanted to point out I've been putting together a series of Star Wars styled houses and buildings, as a form of practice that would probably fit in the SWG setting. Some of which are much bigger and more interesting than the originals. If anything instead of really pushing the graphics we should give the game more of a change of scenery really.

I think SWG would benefit from a more refined version of itself, new interface artwork, environmental textures, etc. than to just go nuts with super high resolution textures and insane polycounts! Back in our golden days, we used to get away with a LOT even with the engine we were using, just imagine what we could do with some fresh new meshes and textures :ugeek:

but yeah eventually I'll throw up a thread sometime outlining some of the "updated" designs of these buildings, would be pretty cool to reinvent Theed and Mos Eisley for sure ;)
Xiox

SWG Official Server: Kauri

Postby damuras » March 11th, 2013, 5:44 pm

can you create a building for use inside of a city that would house multiple people? That way we can have players able to rent or buy home in the NPC citys

SWG:ANH Policies | FAQ | Github
damuras
Retired SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Kettemoor

Postby kinshi » December 6th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I am already doing thing on the SWGCanon, Tarkin server, including backporting NGE type housing.

Its actually quite easy, oits man a matter of overriding/removing the "client regions" defined in the datatables the server loads, as well as tweaking whatever overlap detection code may exist in the housing placement (I have tweaked it so I can imbed player housing into the static buildings, as well have tweaked it to allow City Hall placement in a NPC city

Don't mind the SWGEmu part..this concept is NOT limited on anyone sever type. This can be done in ANH once player housing, and the placement code is in (and subsequent checks for client regions, as its necessary to modify the size and center point of client regions to allow for a city hall placement. I expect it will be similar with ANH once player city code exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy5mHt0agYA
kinshi
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Return to Feature Proposals