Ingame IRC?

A place to discuss and present upcoming features for the SWG:ANH Server

Ingame IRC?

Postby CurseUppl » August 8th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Hey, first post, signed up a while ago, been lurking for longer.

It seems that you guys are pretty much coding the game up from scratch, so was wondering if it would be possible to implement an ingame IRC that, obviously, can connect to servers outside SWG?

Just like the planet and combat tab, there'd be an IRC tab for each chatroom you're connected to. Or perhaps an entirely separate IRC window (ctrl + z?) that can be minimised and flashes when messages are recieved.

It would be even more cool if guild chat could be synced with the IRC so that one can always communicate with guildies without being logged into the game.

Anyway, my thoughts. Keep up the great work you're doing on the game! Looking forward to the day the first server goes live! :D
CurseUppl

SWG Official Server: Ahazi

Re: Ingame IRC?

Postby Lloydyboy » August 9th, 2010, 3:31 am

Theoretically I reckon this could be done, but I'm not sure about in practice. The main issue right now is it takes dev time away from other things.

Because we have less control over the client than we do the server using the existing chat interface clientside would be the best route. from there potentially a public irc chatroom could be linked up in the same way you have planetary or guild chat as a separate tab.

If you know how to code, check out the ANH code, have a play round and submit a patch. If its any good it will get merged in.
Euro-Chimaera Pre & Post-CU
Lloyd Pickering - Jedi (Post 9 Village)
Zoxara BE, 12pt Chef, 14pt Artisan, Manager of EMP Mall, Commerce City
Lloydyboy
Retired SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Chimaera

Postby Jay » August 9th, 2010, 12:57 pm

This could be done with chat tabs.. So you could easily have a chat tab for each chat room. As for a separate window we generally do not mess with the client (too much server side to be done already). Again this is just me saying that with the current layout it is possible to be done, as far as I know, no ANH dev has picked this as a feature they will implement any time soon. However as mentioned above, please feel free to check out the source and implement it yourself if this is a functionality you need. Also we would love you to share your work when your finished and we will figure out how to add back in as an optional feature.
Lead Administrator of
Valcyn Reborn
Jay
Retired SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Valcyn

Postby kinshi » August 9th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Actualy there may already be some groundwork laid for this...way back when SOE released a chat client that could be used to communicate with people on EverQuest servers and the code for that was failry well documented, in fact a plugin for Trillans had been developed to do the same thing.

This is helped along by the fact SOE made their chat function common between all their games (that is EQ players could chat with SWG players cross server and cross game, so I would think the SOE chat protocols already have support for such a thing.

Then of course SOE has developed the Station launcher which does the same thing, inter-game/inter-server chat.

Though frankly you can accomplish the same thing using 3rd party tools like XFire or Steam so not sure how valuable that really is.
kinshi
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Postby CurseUppl » August 10th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Thanks for your responses. Yeah, I wasn't expecting anyone to take time off their precious SWG work to do some IRC coding :D Was merely suggesting it in the hopes that it might be implemented in the future, post-launch.

And yeah, my coding skills are almost zero. Had a Java course for about 6 months before I moved on.

Kinshi, the main reason why I suggested it is because if implemented, it'll be readily available in the game and those that want to use the IRC merely have to download the app to join in on chat without being in the game, whereas those who don't care for it won't be affected at all, but will still be able to talk to people who are "offline" without any effort. There'd be no need for the entire guild or all your friends to set up an Xfire account or any other chat program. With ingame IRC chat, it's pretty much as is, if you use it, great, if you don't, you still recieve the benefits of people being able to communicate with you while they're offline. A win-win in my book :)

But thanks for your input guys. Keep up the good work :)
CurseUppl

Postby kinshi » August 10th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Its a good idea, hell even SOE thinks so, otherwise they would have not made similar functionality in their Station Launcher. :)

Best part of an IRC solution is it actually could be used for inter-server chat, allowing players on the various emulated Galaxies to yak with each other.
kinshi
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Postby CurseUppl » August 10th, 2010, 6:04 pm

Exactly, another excellent reason why. There could be a universial chat room that joins all players across the servers. You could also make a tutorial IRC that automatically places new players in it, much like in EVE Online, so help can be given across all the servers instead of having individual helpers per server.
CurseUppl

Return to Feature Proposals