LUA add-on or MOD for UI

A place to discuss and present upcoming features for the SWG:ANH Server

LUA add-on or MOD for UI

Postby SWGANH-Overwatch » August 9th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Is it possible to add this as an optional feature in long-term nothing drastic I'm thinking something like basic stuff from UI (windows, icons, inventory, etc) this along with some kind of re-texturing I bet swg would look better than some new MMOs

and last comment is it possible to add DirectX 11 or Open CL graphics without much touching the engine, would be awesome to be able to run this in both MacOSX (latest open CL) and Wndows (latest dx), I know I always check the Mac version milestone :lol:

I know both are not priority to dev time, but what do you guys think?
SWGANH-Overwatch

SWG Official Server: Lowca

Re: LUA add-on or MOD for UI

Postby langelusse » August 9th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Last edited by langelusse on August 9th, 2010, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
langelusse

SWG Official Server: Kauri

Postby Kronos » August 9th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Just to be clear about what this project is: We are re-creating the 'server' in order to host a star wars galaxy pre-cu environment. The client which connects to the server is not being modified within the scope of this project.

What is being asked for here is a client modification. This is definitely something I believe people will want and will require heavy modification of the client, but currently there are no plans for this project to do any modifications to the client.
Kronos
Retired SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Wanderhome

Postby kinshi » August 9th, 2010, 11:27 pm

DX 11, and things of that nature would pretty much require a new client, as that sort of thing goes well beyond simple 'modding', thats the sort of thing that requires access to the rendering code (and besides modifying the SOE client executable is way out of bounds from the perspective of the client EULA.)

However there is lots of room for things like re-texturing (perhaps the simplest client modification there is). There has also been work performed on understanding the file formats for SWG 3D models, which opens the door for replacing models at some point.

The main thing to watch for (and I know this first hand from doing similar thing with EQEmu and the EQ client) is not killing the client's render engine by feeding it textures that are too high of resolution or models with too high a polygon count, not to mention you radically alter the minimum performance requirements of the clients by upping the the texture resolution and model polygon count. Same thign if you decide to add more detailed animations.

From a technical standpoint, there really is no reason why a 3rd party SWG client could not be developed given there are many open source render engines, and the SOE protocol is well understood. (in fact there is a 3rd party client for EverQuest). However it does take some specialized developer know how to do such a thing, as there is an art to implementing 3D render engines.

There is a bonus for such thing though, with a custom client, one can skip having to reverse engineer all the various SWG client formats, as you then have the freedom to use more open formats (such as SimpleClient for EQEmu uses the open source AN8 format for its 3D models).

All theoretical for SWG of course, and the development priority for now does need to be the server given we already have a operational client :)
kinshi
SWG:ANH Staff

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Postby SWGANH-Overwatch » August 10th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, I understand this is well beyond the scope but from what I understand from kinshi it would be possible to add a third party client with all the customizations to render new textures or enhance the old textures into the future really like this idea, in fact I think there must be a way to alter texture-rendering by sharpness/blur/filters by using some old swg features in options (antiliasing) and change them or add more options depending on hard-ware detection definetly bet its not that easy.

Just a question is modifying the client is similar to SWGEMU LPE client, if so hoping after you guys finish up the game maybe sticking up this as a seal for SWGANH over SWGEMU, by the way I saw what devs did to new version of LOTRO in re-texturing its a different game it does make the game new again, just checked what you said kinshi about Aurora enhacer looks awesome even if just sky and some armors types.

If a project would come up for a new client, I probably would be interested Im no modder but I think water in SWG could be improved to have waves, realistic rain (everyone laughed at paper look rain pre-cu), other weather effects, like glare/shadows Im guessing it could also boost performance if implemented in a new client, thanks for responses this game has a lot of potential still I think that is what makes attractive in my opinion.

EDIT:
LUA add-on for LOTRO done in beta:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=349473
(I can imagine this HUD for lotro working better in SWG for some reason)
SWGANH-Overwatch

SWG Official Server: Lowca

Postby kinshi » August 18th, 2010, 4:09 pm

These are great idea..SWG is of an age where in some aspects its getting to look dated, and some modernization would go a long way.

One area of research that still needs some help is getting SWG various client file formats reverse engineered to where new files of those types can be created (like the various .IFFs, and the holy grail being the .MSH/MGN formats so new models and meshes can be introduced.

There has been much work done in being able to export SWGs various formats, but importing them, well there is still help needed there..lots of research has already been done, just need folks who are seriously interested in modding to take up the cause. get those two formats nailed, then not only can you bring in new textures, new models, including animations become possible as well, not to mention static meshes.

Basically takes SWG client modding to a whole new level.
kinshi

SWG Official Server: Chilastra

Postby Obi-Two » December 7th, 2010, 6:00 pm

the easiest and best way I've found to run the client on Mac OSX is to use Parallels Desktop 6 works a treat,

of course you'll need to acquire a version of windows and a version of Parallels but I'm sure you can find what you need on the internet ;) ;)
Obi-Two

Quality Assurance
Star Wars Galaxies:A new hope
there is another...

Server by : Hostwind
Project : SWGANHServices
Obi-Two

SWG Official Server: Ahazi

Postby Joshino » December 8th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Obi-Two wrote: ;) ;)

Nudge, Nudge.
Joshino

SWG Official Server: Chimaera

Postby Obi-Two » December 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Joshino wrote:
Obi-Two wrote: ;) ;)

Nudge, Nudge.

say no more aye aye

although I'd never surgest anything dodgy :P besides its actually worth the cash about £35 just as soon as I get paid :P
Obi-Two

Quality Assurance
Star Wars Galaxies:A new hope
there is another...

Server by : Hostwind
Project : SWGANHServices
Obi-Two

SWG Official Server: Ahazi

Return to Feature Proposals